INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY DIVISION
IT Projects Management Office (ITPMO)
IT Projects Management Office (ITPMO)
WELCOME TO THE ITPMO
The IT Project Management Office (PMO) is part of the Information Technology Division (ITD), International Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM). PMO aims to
- be the centre for reference for all IT Project Management matters
- ensure that IT project management best practices are applied consistently and effectively across IT projects.
- manage and monitor IIUM’s IT project portfolio.
We strive to improve best practices in IT project management within the context of time, scope and budget. In doing so we hope to increase productivity, reduce project cycle time, and ensure quality in our applications.
- Develop and implement a consistent and standardized project management process/methodology including tools and templates
- Provide direction in use of the standardized project management methodology and templates
- Monitor and track IIUM’s portfolio of IT projects
- Provide project management guidance and support as needed
- Conduct project management training programs
Please refer to the ITPMO Forms & Templates section for the forms and templates used by IIUM to implement project management for all IT projects.
The IT Projects Process Flow shows the procedures and processes involved in managing IT projects.
ITPMO FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
Q: I have a new project that I would like to propose. What do I do?
A: The first thing that you should do is to fill up the IT Project Request Form, which is available for download at the Information Technology Division (ITD) website, IT Project Management Office (ITPMO) section, under “PMO Templates”, and submit the form to ITPMO.
Q: What is ITPMO and what are its main functions?
A: ITPMO is the IT Project Management Office of the University which acts as the central body to manage and provide project management support to all IT projects of the University. Its main functions are to:
o establish the IIUM IT Project Management Framework
o track all IT projects
o provide support for all IT projects
Q: What is the IT Project Management Framework?
A: The IT Project Management Framework is the overall guideline in managing IT projects as shown in the IIUM IT Project Management Life Cycle (available for download in the PMO Templates section). The IT Project Management Framework follows the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK), as outlined by the Project Management Institute (PMI).
Q: What is the next step after I have submitted the IT Project Request Form?
A: The ITPMO will contact you to discuss your proposal further and to assist you in developing the Feasibility Study Report (FSR) for the proposed IT project. You can also refer to the IT Project Process Flow (available for download in the “PMO Templates” section) for an overview of the whole process.
Q: What is the Feasibility Study Report (FSR) and why do we need it?
A: The Feasibility Study Report (FSR) is a document that will outline the business case for the IT project, in terms of its objectives, benefits, and feasibility. The FSR will help the University in selecting the most appropriate IT projects to invest in.
Q: Do you provide any templates for the FSR?
A: Yes, the FSR template can be downloaded at the “ITPMO Templates” section of the ITD website.
Q: What happens after the FSR has been submitted?
A: ITPMO will convene a meeting with the ITD Management to vet the FSR according to a set of pre-determined criteria. The possible outcomes of the meeting are approve, reject, put on hold, need UTICTEC recommendation or to revise the FSR.
Q: If the project is approved, what happens next?
A: Once an IT project has been approved, ITPMO will assign a project manager and the team members. The project manager and team members will be issued letters of appointments and letters of undertakings for them to sign and return to ITPMO. Copies of the letters will be sent to the system owner/process owner for their signatures.
Q: I have been appointed as a project manager for an IT project. What should I do next?
A: You can refer to the IT Projects Checklist for detailed phase by phase activities that a project manager should be aware of.
- IT Request Form
- Feasibility Study Report Template
- Project Charter Template
- Project Profile
- Project Management Review Report (PMRR)
- IT Project Documentation Checklist (major)
- IT Project Documentation Checklist (medium)
- IT Project Documentation Checklist (minor)
- Feasibility Study Report Checklist
- Booking of Project Room
- IT Project Initiation
- RFQ Template
- Project Management Plan (PMP)
- Sample IT Project Gantt Chart
Project Monitoring & Controlling :
- Project Status Report Form
- Project Change Request Form
- Change Register
- Risk Submission Form
- Risk Register
- Issue Submission Form
- Issue Register
Project Closing :
- Migration of Application System & Database from Development to Production Environment
- Project Closing Report
- Project Handover Report