KULLIYYAH OF ISLAMIC REVEALED KNOWLEDGE AND HUMAN SCIENCES
The Kulliyyah of Islamic Revealed Knowledge and Human Sciences was established in 1990. It is now the largest faculty in the University, with over 4,000 students and more than 250 full-time academic staff. Its formation represents a drive to integrate Islamic Revealed Knowledge and Human Sciences disciplines as part of a comprehensive educational reform for the betterment of mankind.
Brief History Of The Kulliyyah
CENTRE FOR FUNDAMENTAL KNOWLEDGE (CFK)
- Established in July 1983
- Objective of establishment : to provide courses in Revealed Knowledge in line with the Islamization and integration of the University Curriculum.
- The founding Shaikh al-Kulliyyah for CFK (1983-1990) - Prof. Dr. Mohd. Kamal Hassan
- Dean of CFK - Assoc. Prof. Dr. Hj. Mohd Mokhtar Hj. Shafii
- Started with 5 academic staff:
- Mohd Kamal Hassan
- Mohd Mokhtar b. Hj. Shafii
- Mohd Nur Manuty
- Abdul Rahman Awang
- Mat Daud Awang Hamat
KULLIYYAH OF ISLAMIC REVEALED KNOWLEDGE AND HUMAN SCIENCES
- Established in January 1990
- CFK was transformed into the Department of Islamic Revealed Knowledge and Heritage and became 4 new departments in December 1996 (11 Departments):
- Fiqh and Usul al-Fiqh
- Fundamental and Inter-Disciplinary Studies
- Usul Ad-Din and Comparative Religion
- Qur’an and Sunnah Studies
- Division of Human Sciences:
- Arabic Language and Literature
- English Language and Literature
- History and Civilization
- Political Science
- Sociology and Anthropology
2003 - Present (11 Departments)
- Department of Arabic Language and Literature (DALL)
- Department of Fiqh and Usul al-Fiqh (RKFQ)
- Department of Fundamental and Inter-Disciplinary Studies (FIDS)
- Department of Qur’an and Sunnah (RKQS)
- Department of Usul al-Din and Comparative Religion (RKUD)
- Department of Communication (COMM)
- Department of English Language and Literature (DELL)
- Department of History and Civilization (HIST)
- Department of Political Science (PSCI)
- Department of Psychology (PSYC)
- Department of Sociology and Anthropology (SOCA)
DEANS OF KIRKHS
- Prof. Dr. Mohd. Kamal Hassan (1989 - 1990)
- Prof. Dr. Anis Ahmad (1990 - 1994)
- Prof. Dr. Mohd Nor Nawawi (1994 - 1995)
- Prof. Dr. Sidek Baba (1995 - 1996)
- Prof. Dr. Jamal Barzinji (1996 - 1998)
- Prof. Dr. Abdullah Hassan (1998 - 1999)
- Prof. Dr. Mohamed Aris Othman (1999 - 2002)
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Mohamad @ Md. Som Sujimon (July 2002 – March 2005)
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Hazizan Md. Noon (April 2005 - May 2009)
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Badri Najib Zubir (June 2009 - June 2012)
- Emeritus Prof. Dato’ Dr. Mahmood Zuhdi Abdul Majid (July 2012 - July 2013)
- Prof. Dr. Ibrahim Mohamed Zein (July 2013 - July 2016)
- Prof. Dr. Rahmah Bt. Ahmad H. Osman (Aug 2016 - July 2017)
- Prof. Dr. Mohammad Abdul Quayum (August 2017 - Current)
Vision and Mission
To be the centre for educational excellence and research in Islamic Revealed Knowledge and Human Sciences
Integration of Islamic Revealed Knowledge and Human Sciences
Islamization of Human Sciences
Relevantization of Islamic Revealed Knowledge to contemporary issues
Research and innovation in the disciplines of Islamic Revealed Knowledge and Human Sciences
Attend to client needs promptly, courteously and attentively.
Keep the Kulliyyah’s community updated with the latest information on relevant policies, rules and regulations.
Respond promptly to complaints/suggestions from clients.
Ensure a safe working environment for the Kulliyyah’s community at all times.
Maintain a high standard in the maintenance of all equipment and facilities at the Kulliyyah.
To ensure that the students internalize the worldview of Islam in each and every aspect of their life.
To develop students' knowledge in their chosen fields of specialization and their commitment to using their knowledge for the advancement of the Ummah.
To develop students' commitment to the ideas of the relevantization of religious sciences and the integration of Human Sciences with Islamic Revealed Knowledge.
To enable the students to acquire the necessary skills for the application of their knowledge in real life situations.
To develop the social skills of the students so that they become responsible and effective contributors to societal harmony and growth.
To inculcate Islamic values in the students and nurture positive attitudes and professionalism.
To develop students' competency in articulating ideas and communicating with others and become effective leaders and team players in the family, the workplace and the community.
To ensure students acquire important scientific skills that are necessary in contemporary times.
To develop students' thinking skills and problem solving capacity to cope with challenges in the real world.
To prepare students for lifelong learning through research and information management skills.
Awards and Accolades
- Congratulations! Assoc.Prof.Dr.Spahic Omer for the winner of National Book Awards 2015 in PWTC, Kuala Lumpur on 25-26 November 2015.
Author TITLE OF BOOK AWARD CATEGORY Assoc. Prof. Dr. Spahic Omer Architecture and Society Some Lessons on Muslim Architecture from India
Anugerah Pengajian Tinggi
Buku Islamik Terbaik
- Congratulations On Securing The Prototype Research Grant Scheme (PRGS) Cycle 2/2015
Project Title Project Leader BUDGET APPROVED (RM) A Prototype Development of a Mobile Interactive Arabic Poetry Programme for Pedagogical Purposes Prof. Dr. Rahmah binti Ahmad H. Othman 92,300.00
- Congratulations to the following researchers in securing the grants.
- In Securing (Public / Private / International Grant) for Month of October, 2015.
Researchers Project Title Funder Amount Approved (RM) Category (International /Private/ Public) Principal Researcher: Dr. Zeti Azreen Ahmad Co-Researchers: 1. Prof. Dato’ Dr. Sri Syed Arabi Idid 2. Assoc. Prof. Dr. Che Mahzan Ahmad 3. Dr. Aini Maznina A. Manaf 4. Dr. Tengku Aisha Tegku Azzman 5. Mdm. Mazni Buyong Social Mobility and Media in Marang, Terengganu Majlis Professor Negara (MPN) 20,000.00 Public
- IIUM World Debate and Oratory Centre (IWON) is pleased to announce that the IIUM Arabic Debate team has emerged as Champion in the Maal Hijrah Intervarsity Arabic Debate Championship 1437H/2015M. The team members are: Br. Abdullah Aimanrusydi bin Abdullah (KIRKHS), Br. Mohamad Ikmal Hakimi bin Mohamad Helmi (KIRKHS), Sr. Rizka Rivensky (KIRKHS), Sr. Afifah Hanim binti Muhammad Hisham (KLM).
- The book of Asst. Prof. Dr. Luqman Zakariyah of the Department of Fiqh and Usul al-Fiqh, entitled Legal Maxims in Islamic Criminal Law: Theory and Applications, has been accepted for publication by the prestigious Brill Publishing House.
- Congratulations! On Securing the Research Grant, Fundamental Research Grant Scheme (FRGS) Phase 1/2015 from Ministry of Education:
Project Leader Approved Budget (RM) 1. Assoc. Prof. Dr. Muhamadul Bakir Hj. Yaakub 86,500 2. Dr. Aida Binti Mokhtar 78,000 3. Dr. Jusmawati Fauzaman 72,000 4. Dr. Luqman Zakariyah 59,200
- Congratulations to Assoc.Prof.Dr. Abdul Kabir & Editorial Team for the achievement of Intellectual Discourse Journal, KIRKHS (Web of Science waiting list).
- Congratulations to Prof.Dr. Mohammad A. Quayum & Editorial Team for the achievement of Asiatic Journal, KIRKHS (has been accepted in the Web of Science in its ESCI database).
- Congratulations to the Editorial team of Intellectual Discourse for being chosen as the recipient of Publishing Encouragement Scheme (CREAM) Status, (Skim Galakan Penerbitan Program Pemberian Taraf CREAM 2015) for Journal Indexed by SCOPUS under the Category of Arts & Humanities and Social Sciences (AHSS). The award was presented by the Minister of Higher Education Datuk Seri Idris Jusoh in conjunction with the launching ceremony of the National Conference for Published High Impact Journals on 3rd September 2015.
- * Picture of the Editor-in-Chief and Editor of Intellectual Discourse receiving the Award.
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
MESSAGE FROM THE DEAN
الحمد لله رب العالمين، والصلاة والسلام على سيد الأنبياء والمرسلين، حبيبنا وشفيعنا وقدوتنا وقائدنا محمد المبعوث رحمة للعالمين، وعلى آله وأصحابه ومن تبعهم بإحسان إلى يوم الدين.
السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته
Welcome to the Kulliyyah of Islamic Revealed Knowledge and Human Sciences (KIRKHS) website.
It’s my pleasure and privilege to serve as acting dean of the University’s largest Kulliyyah. Our student population, undergraduate and postgraduate combined, currently exceeds 5000 and we have nearly 300 staff. When I was invited to helm the Kulliyyah, many of my colleagues seemed baffled, not knowing whether to congratulate me or to console me. They thought that for someone who has spent much of his life in research and writing, getting into administration was akin to “going over to the Dark Side.” Yet every academic leader ought to know how to negotiate between the ideal and the practical, and be able to actively participate in the overall growth of the institution while maintaining a passionate devotion to teaching and research. Scholars are not mere dreamers but dreamer-doers, perfectly capable of looking into the future with their feet on the ground. Given that I have lived and worked at tertiary institutions in six different countries – Australia, Bangladesh, Canada, Malaysia, Singapore and the US – I believe I can bring that experience to enrich the academic culture of the Kulliyyah and make it more globally competitive.
Our Kulliyyah has eleven departments – five in Islamic Revealed Knowledge and six in Human Sciences. In a traditional university, these departments would normally be housed under two or even three faculties (Islamic Studies, Humanities and Social Sciences), but we have clustered them into one faculty with the definitive intention of fulfilling the mission and vision of the University. The vision of International Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM) is “to restore the dynamic and progressive role of the Muslim Ummah in all branches of knowledge and intellectual discourse,” and we believe this can be achieved by adopting the fourfold principles of Integration, Islamization, Internationalization and Comprehensive Excellence. By constantly trying to harness, synergize and synthesize Islamic revealed knowledge with worldly and scientific knowledge, KIRKHS plays a leading role in the fulfilment of IIUM’s lofty and altruistic goals.
We believe in educating the minds of our students, in sharpening their intellect, inculcating attributes that encourage them to think rationally, critically and creatively; we prepare them to become active and dynamic citizens of society, to love and give equally to everyone, to respect the diversity of opinions and cultures, to acquire technological and digital skills, to become skilful communicators, to learn when to lead and when to follow, to be simultaneously self-reliant and capable team players. However, we also believe that educating minds without considering morals can be a peril to society; intellect without character is a source of threat. Therefore, while providing modern knowledge and cutting-edge technology to our students, we also ensure that they are equipped with the right Islamic values so that after graduation, when they embark upon their adult careers, they can stay afloat in the maelstrom of the material world buoyed by their sense of morality and spirituality; they will prosper materially and intellectually without compromising their character and integrity.
Our current faculty comprises talented educators and researchers, of whom many have received awards and fellowships, nationally and internationally, for their outstanding contributions to teaching and research. It is because of our dedicated staff, driven by a passionate curiosity for knowledge, that IIUM was ranked 46 in the 2017 QS World University Rankings in the subject of Theology, Divinity and Religious Studies, together with Cornell University in the US. Our aspiration is to achieve an even higher ranking in future by improving on our research and publication record. Our guiding principle to accomplish this is “Think passionately. Live to inspire.”
Abraham Lincoln once famously said, “A house divided against itself cannot stand.” We need unity to attain success, to keep the house together and to establish peace -- not just our Kulliyyah but Muslim communities everywhere and humanity at large. Unity is strength; unity brings victory. This being said, what we need is not unity in uniformity but unity in harmony -- the unity where differences can co-exist and thrive without disrupting peace, like the flowers in a garden or the colours of a rainbow.
This Kulliyyah has been led by many distinguished scholars since its establishment in 1990. I am honoured to inherit their successes and build on the tradition they have left behind. My goal as acting dean is to work hand in hand with all colleagues, students, friends and alumni so that we may collectively propel the Kulliyyah to greater heights. I am confident that I will receive active cooperation from every quarter to fulfil this goal.
I invite you to browse our website and to direct inquiries to specific departments, to the Office of Deputy Dean Academic Affairs, or to the Office of Postgraduate and Research. The Dean’s Office will also be glad to hear from you and to assist in any way we can.
PROFESSOR DR. MOHAMMAD A. QUAYUM