KULLIYYAH OF DENTISTRY
Conservative Dentistry cover an introduction to operative dentistry, classification and nomenclature of cavity preparation, principles of cavity preparation and design in relation to the histological structure of the teeth and occlusal forces, composition, properties, uses and manipulation of restorative materials, investing and casting techniques. In addition, practical operative dentistry covering cavity preparations, abrasion cavity restoration, glass ionomer cement, inlays and onlays, ceramic restorations and cast root canal post and core. In addition, periodontology is one of the subjects that are designed by the periodontics department, school of dentistry, IIUM. Starting in year 3 (three) the periodontology course is designed to give students a thorough knowledge in the normal anatomy of periodontium and the basic principles of the etiology and epidemiology, as well as the progression and pathogenesis of periodontal diseases.
Objectives (Conservative Dentistry)
- To specify, that the endodontics is interrelated with biomedical science.
- To supply the undergraduate dental student with basic knowledge in endodontics.
- To get knowledge and skills for preventive, diagnosis and treatment planning for pulpal and periradicular pathoses.
- To get more practical approach describing the current techniques and materials used in the treatment of endodontics in patients.
- To providing fresh perceptions on clinical key topics, throughout this course that deals with the most up to date coverage of the comprehensive clinical periodontal field.
- To guide the dental students to understand how knowledge in various spectrums of this discipline was progressed and how it should be used in the practice of dentistry.
- To gain clinical competency in diagnosis, treatment plan, and the principles of prognosis of the periodontally involved patient, gathering the skills required to effectively perform a patient assessment.
- To utilize broad knowledge in treating and preventing periodontal pathologies by reducing microbial challenge to the host through closed or opened techniques using manual and powered instrumentation, preceded by performing a thorough dental prophylaxis.
Head of Department
- Capt (R) Asst Prof Dr Mohd Haikal Muhammad Halil
- Asst Prof Dr Wai Minn Sann
- Asst Prof Dr Anisa Kusumawardani
- Asst Prof Dr Munirah Yaacob
- Asst Prof Dr Suhaila Muhammad Ali
- Asst Prof Dr Juzaily Husain
- Dr Mohd Nor Hafizi Mohd Ali
Intergrated Dental Practice