KULLIYYAH OF MEDICINE
Kulliyyah of Medicine,
International Islamic University Malaysia,
Bandar Indera Mahkota Campus,
Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah,
Pahang Darul Makmur
Phone No.: +609-5706400
Fax: +609-571 6770
General Email: email@example.com
Dean : firstname.lastname@example.org
Deputy Director: email@example.com
Senior Assistant Director: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Secretary: email@example.com
Chief Clerk: firstname.lastname@example.org
Department of Family Medicine was formerly a part of the Department of Community Health and Family Medicine which was established in 2005 in order to cater and enhance the needs of learning and teaching of medicine for medical undergraduates in general practice and public health. Later on, both departments were separated in 2010 for the betterment of the learning process of students and different medical disciplines altogether. Family Medicine introduce a diverse clinical discipline that deals with the whole patient and his own family. It is the medical specialty which provides comprehensive and continuing health care for the individual and family. It’s a specialty in breadth that integrates the biological, clinical and behavior sciences.
Department Family Medicine offer program for undergraduate and postgraduate. The Family Medicine posting for undergraduate programme is run concurrent with the Public Health posting in one of the three blocks or attachment in Year 4 undergraduate medical student programme. During the three months posting, the students will have five weeks attachment in Family Medicine posting (Department of Family Medicine) and another five weeks in Public Health posting (Department of Community Medicine). There will be one week of revision and followed by the examination week. Family Medicine also started postgraduate programme; Master of Medicine in 2013. This is a 4 year clinical training programme. In the first two years of the programme, the candidates will be placed in the hospital in rotational basis in various medical disciplines. For the final 2 years, the candidates will placed in a institutional clinic and government health clinics as part of their training to become a competent Family Medicine Specialist.
Medical students will have their posting at Department of Family Medicine at their 4th year. Here, students are divided into groups which attached to the few primary care clinics (Klinik Kesihatan) in Kuantan District respectively. Their five weeks attachment in both Outpatient Department (OPD) and Maternity Child Health (MCH) clinic is on a rotation basis. They are required to practice their clinical skills and to carry out clinical work which includes history taking, physical examination, lab procedures and discussion with lecturers respectively on relevant investigations and treatment.
In this posting, students are also required to do attachment to private General Practice (GP) and visit Rumah Ehsan (old folk home/ward) along with the Community Rehabilitation Centre.
1. To enable the student to appreciate the importance of primary care in health and in illness by familiarizing them with the common health care problems seen at the primary care level. 2. To develop the appropriate knowledge, skills, value and attitudes for the student to participate in its holistic and comprehensive delivery with health care team.
1. Identify and manage common acute and chronic health care problems seen at primary care clinic by using patient-centred approach. 2. Reinforce problem – solving and clinical decision-making skills in diagnosing and appropriately managing patients at primary care level.. 3. Integrate health promotion and preventive care in the day-to-day clinical management of patients.. 4. Apply knowledge during patients’ care on managing the influence of the family, psychosocial, cultural, spiritual and economic factors on health of the patients.. 5. Develop good quality interpersonal skill and ethical doctor-patient relationship by using efficient communication and counselling skills.
Topic That Will Be Covered:
1. Introduction to Family Medicine. 2. Child Health and Adolescent Health.. 3. Maternal Health Clinic / Reproductive Health.. 4. Men’s Health. 5. Geriatric Health. 6. Expanded scopes programs in primary care. 7. Chronic disease management. 8. Psychiatric Rehabilitation. 9. Obesity Program. 10. Palliative Care. 11. Methadone Maintenance Therapy. 12. HIV/AIDS in primary care.
Master of Medicine (Family Medicine)
The Master of Medicine (Family Medicine) was introduced in July 2013, which is one of the five clinical specialist master programmes offered by IIUM. The aim of the programme is to create a new type of specialist who will provide comprehensive and continuing care in our health care services. The graduates from this programme are responsible for managing the primary health care, providing care for the individual in the context of the family, community and health care resources. The programme emphasizes cost-effective comprehensive medical care emphasizing on health promotion, disease prevention, curative treatment, referral and collaborative management with expertise from the hospital section.
The implementation of the programme heralds a new era in the development of human resources for health in Malaysia which is marked by cooperation and collaboration between the University, Ministry of Health and the profession. It is also important because the programme addresses the health services needs in a unique creative way, considering the importance of providing high quality primary health care services to the community.
In July 2013, IIUM been accepted as the member of the National Conjoint Board for Family Medicine. The Conjoint Board for Family Medicine members met regularly with the Ministry of Health (as the stakeholder) to discuss matters to the training and placement of Family Medicine trainees. The members also rotate to host the postgraduate exam; part I, II and III each year. To ensure that the assessment process maintain its validity and reliability, external examiners will be invited by each universities.
The Objective of The Programme are :
- To train Family Medicine Specialist to meet the demands and needs of the country.
- To provide training programme that will produce caring, compassionate, knowledgeable and teachnically competent Family Medicine Specialist.
- To give an opportunity for medical officer to be trained and obtain specialist degree or specialist qualification in Family Medicine within the country.
- To give exposure to medical officers in advances theoretical knowledge, clinical skills and comprehensive care in Family Medicine practice.
- To ensure they would be able to provide not only good Family Medicine services but safe working attitude and environment.
- To enhance research and development in field of Family Medicine.
Overall Outcome of Programme
- Acquire knowledge in Principle and Practice of Family Medicine in relation to health promotion, identification of risk factors and management.
- Demonstrate the comprehensive clinical skills in physical, Psychological and social aspect in Family Medicine based on current evident.
- Communicate effectively with peers, patients, and family members from various cultural, social and religious background.
- Work as a team with other care professionals in the best interest of the patients through coordination and utilization of available resources.
- Integrated Islamic values, ethics and professionalism in family medicine issues.
- Formulate and conduct scientific research independently.
- Demonstrate leadership skills in managing a Primary Care practice by coordination of clinical team and services.
Programme Educational Objective (PEO)
- Produce a safe, skilled and competent Family Medicine Specialist.
- Able to adopt a holistic and continuous approach in patient management.
- Able to make decision on health problems of individual in the context of family and the community.
- Able to work collaboratively with multiple – disciplinary tears and assume leadership roles when appropriate.
- Committed to life-long learning and self improvement.