IIUM LIBRARY :: Serials Collection
IIUM Library Serials Collection is located at level 4. Our collections consist of titles in various subjects such as religion, language, architecture, environmental design, law, economy, management science, engineering, education,
and information and communication technology. Items in the Serials Collection are available in variety of formats: loose-journals, bounded journals, online databases and electronic journals.
The library has over 1,500 titles of printed journals, reports, yearbooks, directories and etc. Services available at the Serials Division are as stated below:
|SERIALS||Both current and back volumes of journals are placed together on the open shelves.Current journals are in loose form while previous issues are bounded according to year of publication.|
|POPULAR MAGAZINES||Consist of local popular magazines and international popular magazines. For recent year publication, please request at Serials Section counter. Previous issues are bounded according to year of publication and available at the open shelves.|
|DAILY NEWSPAPERS||Local daily newspaper in various languages: Malay, English and Chinese. Please request at Serials Section counter.|
|BACK ISSUE NEWSPAPERS||Previous 6 months (local daily newspaper) and 1 year (Utusan Malaysia and New Straits Times only) issues are available. Please request at Serials Section counter|
|ELECTRONIC||Access to electronic resources is restricted to eligible IIUM Library users only. ONLINE DATABASES The library subscribes to 47 online databases and has 5 open access databases which are accessible via World Wide Web. For list of online databases, please refer to the library website. ELECTRONIC JOURNALS Electronic journals are accessible via World Wide Web. Searchable through the IIUM Library Catalogue and at the IIUM Library Digital Services. ELECTRONIC BOOKS The library has about 103,278 titles. Searchable through the IIUM Library Catalogue and at the IIUM Library Digital Services.|
|OFFICIAL PUBLICATIONS||Various official publication which consist of: Malaysian government publications; foreign government; local, national, international and regional organization; business organizations; universities and colleges; NGO, associations and societies. Available at the open shelves.|
|IIUM PAST EXAM PAPERS||Printed and bounded IIUM past exam papers are available at the open shelves. Also available in digital format which is accessible through the IIUM Library Digital Services|
|LAW JOURNALS/ COURT REPORTS/ LAW DIRECTORIES||Located at level 1. Any enquiries please refer to Law Information Section.|
1. All printed materials are for Reference only (non-circulated).
2. IIUM lecturers are permitted to loan bounded journals for duration of 2 days.
Service counter operation hours
Service counter operation hours begins at 9.00 am. Service counter is close for lunch-break from 1 pm. to 2 pm. and half-an hour before library closing time. The service counter is also close during Saturday and Sunday. However Serials Division’s collections are available for reference (except for collections which have to be requested at the Serial Counter) and Serial Division reading area is open as usual according to the library opening hours.
Beginning February 2012, the Serial Division Reading area is a “Silent Study Area” where this area is completely silent to accommodate those who prefer studying in silence.
The policy for this reading area is as stated below:
1. Show courtesy to others by KEEPING NOISE AND TALKING TO A MINIMUM
2. NO GROUP STUDY ALLOWED in this area. Please use other areas of the Library for group study such as the discussion rooms which is available at all levels.
3. SILENCE YOUR CELL PHONE’S RINGTONE while you’re in this room. Please go to another area of the Library if you need to use your cell phone. Electronic devices with audio must be used with headphone. This includes portable music player, laptops, etc.
4. NO COUPLING!
5. Please DO NOT leave materials unattended in the library. If you need to leave your reading area for any reason, take your valuables with you.
6. The Library is not responsible for the lost of personal items or materials checked out to you.
7. Be courteous. Let people know if their noise level is unacceptable. If the disruption continues, please CONTACT THE READERS’ ADVISORY DESK at level 2 for assistance.
8. The Library staff on duty has the authority to ask any customer, who causes disturbance in the Library to leave.