Doctor of Philosophy in Accounting
The Kulliyyah of Economics and Management Sciences seeks to prepare students with the necessary knowledge and Islamic values to face the increasingly challenging world. It offers students the unique opportunity of integrating conventional knowledge with Islamic knowledge in all fields of studies. Established in 1983, the Kulliyyah is now well recognised, having faculty members of eminence in various specialisations. It is also equipped with the state-of-the-art facilities to promote teaching and learning.
English is the medium of instruction for all programmes offered by the Kulliyyah. Currently, there are four departments offering various programmes, namely the Department of Economics, the Department of Business Administration, the Department of Accounting, and the Department of Finance.
The Department of Accounting offers the Ph.D (Accounting) which combines both conventional and Islamic aspects; to produce experts who are competent in both conventional and Islamic accounting; to encourage further research in accounting which incorporates the Islamic perspective; and to provide experts who are able to formulate Islamically desirable policies in line with the rapidly changing accounting environment. The Department’s greatest strength is in the areas of Islamic Accounting, Management Accounting, Public Sector Accounting, Accounting Education & Ethics, Auditing, Taxation, Financial Reporting and Corporate Governance.
MODE OF PROGRAMME
12 credit hours of coursework (2 core courses and 2 elective courses) + 60 credit hours of thesis.
The department welcomes research proposals in all areas of accounting including those related to Islamic accounting:
- Development of Comprehensive Islamic Accounting Theory
- Development of Islamic Reporting for Islamic organizations
- Accounting for Islamic Institutions (e.g. Zakat, Takaful, Waqf)
- Islamic Perspectives of Corporate Governance
- Accounting and Governance for Islamic Institutions
- Tax Compliance and Tax Administration
- Social and Environmental Accounting
- Islamic Auditing
- Accounting for Intellectual Capital
- Financial Reporting and Regulation
- Corporate Governance and Disclosure
- New Public Financial Management
- Risk Reporting and Management in Islamic Banks
* Subject to availability of supervisors
The Ph.D (Accounting) programme consists 12 credit hours of coursework and 60 credit hours of dissertation. These four courses are to be completed within the first year of the programme i.e. two courses per semester.
Contemporary Issues in Accounting
|ACC 7015||Quantitative Methods|
|one accounting related course from the Master of Science in Accounting|
Students will proceed to do research once they completed all the pre-requisite courses. At the research stage, student needs to prepare and defend their research proposal. Once the proposal is approved, the candidate will continue with his/her research. The final research work (thesis) needs to be defended in a viva voce.
DURATION OF STUDIES
|Full-time||2 academic years||3 academic years||6 academic years|
|Part-time||3 academic years||6 academic years||8 academic years|
- A relevant Bachelor’s degree with good grades from an accredited institution of higher learning or any other certificates recognised to be equivalent to a Bachelor's degree and with relevant professional experience AND
- A relevant Master’s degree from an accredited institution of higher learning.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS
In addition to the Kulliyyah requirements, an applicant must produce satisfactory proof of proficiency of English Language by:
- The Test of English as Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a minimum score of 550 or
- The International English Language Testing Services (IELTS) with a score of 6.0 or
- The IIUM-administered English Placement Test (EPT) with a minimum score 6.0.
Deputy Dean (Postgraduate)
Kulliyyah of Economics and Management Sciences
International Islamic University Malaysia
P.O. Box 10, 50728 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Tel : 603-6421 4775 / 4634 / 4778
Fax : 603-6421 4850
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
* All information is correct at the time of publication. All requirements are subject to amendment by the Management of International Islamic University Malaysia